[meteorite-list] NWA relocation

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:42:02 2004

Hi All,

Short addendum to previous message. Somehow I missed Jamie
Ekholm's message of Saturday, Jan. 20th, which did actually
bring up the question of NWA meteorite relocation. I only
saw one response from Mike Farmer, which said in part:

> ... But a good dealer could spot some signs of possible desert origin.
> It comes down to honesty. If a dealer were to do this, I think it would
> destroy his reputation in my mind for good.

Desert origin -- yes. But can a dealer tell the difference
between African desert weathering and, say, U.S. desert
southwest weathering? If a dealer can't, can the various
labs doing classification tell the difference? (I'm assuming
they can -- or at least I'm *hoping* they can.) --Rob