[meteorite-list] Re: Earth originating meteorites

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:42:02 2004

Kelly,

You have made a good point. A fusion crusted rock
with "no radioactivity" may actually be evidence for
an Earth meteorite. (This is where this discussion
dove-tails with the Takysie Lake thread.)

Here's the problem. The energy necessary to launch an
Earth rock (during an impact) into space - far enough
so that it can stay in space over 10,000 years before
Earth's gravity sweeps it back up - is more than
enough to either melt it or vaporize it completely.
Those Earth rocks which survive ejection without
melting will be the first to be "swept up" by Earth's
gravity, and consequently, have little or no cosmic
ray exposure.

Another problem, there are very few impact events
younger than 10,000-20,000 years that were large
enough to eject Earth rock into space, so we're
probably not going to find any freshly crusted earth
meteorites. If we do find one, it will probably be
re-terrestrialized (hey, I think I just invented a new
word;-).

This may be why we haven't found/recognized one, yet.

Would appreciate reading your comments or opinions,
Bob V.

Message: 3