[meteorite-list] METEOR - RIDGE -FARM

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:42:00 2004

--part1_d1.1060021.27928b78_boundary

Hello Steven,

Years ago, (maybe 7??) I read that story and a few months later happened to
be up in the North, so I scheduled a trip to the cemetery you mentioned. My
mind is a little fuzzy on the details, but I remember that it was very cold
and snowy. I do remember asking myself on the out of the way trip I was
taking, that if the rock really was a genuine meteorite, who would have legal
title to it? So when I got to the cemetery and I located the tombstone and
it turned out not to be a meteorite, but just any ordinary big bolder, I was
actually kind of relieved.

Hey, but it made a cute story for a children's book. Nice artwork as I
remember.

Steve Arnold
www.meteoritebroker.com

In a message dated 1/13/01 2:40:33 PM Central Standard Time,
SSachs9056_at_aol.com writes:

> Hi list,
> Hope all is well with everyone. Here is a mystery that has baffled me for
> some time. An author claims that a cemetary headstone for her grandmother
> is
> from a meteorite.
>
> To begin with....Some years ago I bought a children's story book by author
> Patricia Polacco, entitled METEOR! It's about an alleged meteor which
> fell
> on her grandmother's farm near Union City Michigan many years ago and the
> town reception celebrating it's arival. Cute story. I personally was born
> and
> raised in Kalamazoo Michigan, some 40 miles away. In the book the author
> describes how the meteorite which fell had been studied by scientists from
> University of Michigan, Michigan State University, and Battle Creek
> College.
> But looking further into this, I could not find any listing in any calalog
> about this meteorite or event. The children's story ends with the meteorite
> being used as a tombstone marker for the author's grandmother. All of the
> landmarks and towns the author uses, is familiar to me being a former
> Michigander.
>
> What makes this even more interesting is when I looked up the author's name
> on the internet and she now lives at her grandmother's home and has called
> it
> METEOR RIDGE FARM. With the following address, anyone on the internet can
> look at this headstone: http://www.patriciapolacco.com/htour.html There
> you'll see the author kneeling next to the headstone. Looks a bit like a
> pallasite from a distance.
>
> Does anyone on this list know more about this??? I still have relatives
> near
> Kalamazoo, but only go once a year for a day, and have not had a chance to
> go
> to the actual cemetary (it does exist) and look at the tombstone first
> hand.
>
> Would appreciate imput from any list member who knows more about this
> mystery.
>
> Thanks all
>
> Steven L. Sachs

--part1_d1.1060021.27928b78_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Hello Steven,
<BR>
<BR>Years ago, (maybe 7??) I read that story and a few months later happened to
<BR>be up in the North, so I scheduled a trip to the cemetery you mentioned. &nbsp;My
<BR>mind is a little fuzzy on the details, but I remember that it was very cold
<BR>and snowy. &nbsp;I do remember asking myself on the out of the way trip I was
<BR>taking, that if the rock really was a genuine meteorite, who would have legal
<BR>title to it? &nbsp;So when I got to the cemetery and I located the tombstone and
<BR>it turned out not to be a meteorite, but just any ordinary big bolder, I was
<BR>actually kind of relieved.
<BR>
<BR>Hey, but it made a cute story for a children's book. &nbsp;Nice artwork as I
<BR>remember.
<BR>
<BR>Steve Arnold
<BR>www.meteoritebroker.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>In a message dated 1/13/01 2:40:33 PM Central Standard Time,