[meteorite-list] Another Metal Detector Question

From: FusionCrst_at_aol.com <FusionCrst_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:56 2004

--part1_ce.eeeda82.2788a6a1_boundary

In a message dated 1/6/01 1:04:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, kelly_at_bhil.com
writes:

> !
>
> Can anyone comment on the suitability (or lack of it) of the Fisher
> M-Scope Model CZ-6 for hunting meteorites specifically? This particular
> one has a nine-inch coil. As the ground is frozen solid, I can't test it
> by
> burying a Sikhote-Alin in my front yard! Although it does a fine job of
> finding all the nails in my kitchen floor, this is not a very
> sophisticated

Sterling,

I agree with the Killgore's. I own a Fisher CZ-20 which I use for looking
for meteorites in Lake Michigan. I have used it as a land machine but it
doesn't compare to my White's Goldmaster III. I carry the GoldMax 14" coil
with me in case I feel like digging foxholes. Once on the beach I dug nearly
three feet to find a buried piece of concrete with rerod in it. I was
disappointed, however impressed. I have dug rusty needles at around 4" and
pieces of rusty metal as deep as 14" in black dirt. Once I found a bronze
hinge under 10" of baseball sized rocks in a sand matrix at the waterline.
When I hit the dunes in my area I will walk away with at least 20 pieces of
steel 7 shot. But only with my Goldmaster. My Fisher would most likely not
hone in on a piece of rusty steel shot. However, I have found numerous steel
beer cans under several inches of muck at a depth of 40-50 ft! Well
preserved I might add. My Goldmaster won't do that! But for meteorite
hunting the gold-series machines are definitley the best. They are designed
to find hot-rocks. And that is what you want. Trust me, you don't want to
discriminate when hunting for meteorites. In my opinion, you should dig
every tone when in a remote area. I also have a Garret which I have not used
enough to comment on. Hope this helps.

George Nicula

--part1_ce.eeeda82.2788a6a1_boundary