[meteorite-list] falls per year

From: Jeffrey N. Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:13 2004

Each km^2 receives an average of one unique meteorite fall per 176,000
years under my calculation. However, from a practical standpoint, falls
are not unique single-point events. If the average fall spreads meteorites
across 20 km^2 (a pure guess), then it would only take 1/20 as long (9000
years) for a square km to receive a batch of recoverable meteorites. Note
that these are probabilities, and the above calculation answers a VERY
different question than you asked. To cover each and every km^2 on earth
with at least one meteorite would take much, much longer.

BTW, I repeated the Japan calculation for the densely populated regions of
northern India and northern Europe. The results are the same, more or
less, giving worldwide rates of 1860 falls/year and 3670 falls/year,
respectively, compared with the 2900/year calculated from Japan, assuming
again 30% efficiency. Again, this is recoverable falls, not recovered
fragments.

jeff