[meteorite-list] Discover magazine article

From: Kelly Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:12 2004

Hi, Rob,
    Like you, I sort of jumped up out my chair and fumed for a while
after reading that statement. I have seen the 500 per year figure given
in other sources, which is one reason I posted my method of calculating
falls, because 500 per year is a ridiculous figure.
    His methodology depends on establishing an accurate age for all the
finds in a given geographical area, thus determining the time span
covered by those finds, and working backwards to set a fall rate that
will account for that number of finds. This method of course cannot
detect how many meteorites are lost, eroded, degraded, destroyed,
unrecovered, deposited elsewhere, and so forth.
    So as a method of determining fall rate, it's worthless. What was
important about his work is that his measured ages show that the fall
rate is essentially constant over a long time span.
    However, it is essentially unfair to judge any scientific argument
by its paraphase in a popular journal. So, I started hunting for his
original article. It is not available on-line (too old). I have found a
library source for it but have not made the 60-mile trek to their
basement to xerox it so I can properly and responsibly attack that silly
500 per year figure.

Kelly Webb