[meteorite-list] Discover magazine article

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:12 2004

Hi All,

I'm assuming I'm not the only one that read the article about
Philip Bland in the March issue of Discover magazine. One
sentence on page 47 covers a subject near and dear to my
heart:

"His results provided the first hard evidence that meteorites
were falling at a constant rate -- roughly 100 meteorites
weighing more than 10 grams per 40 million square miles per
year -- over the last 50,000 years."

Could this be a typo? This corresponds to a global fall rate
of only ~500 meteorites per year! The actual rate has to be
at least 300 times greater than this. --Rob