[meteorite-list] More petrographic questions.

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:11 2004

Hello David,

My thoughts....

The terms chondrite and achondrite are names of categories with general--
not absolute characteristics... ( remember the "People's Republics" --
hardly lived up to their names either!) The overall chemistry and nearest
chemical neighbor governs the assignment to categories. As it is, I am
not sure that the traditional distinction... the degree of differentiation
in the parent body can hold up the more we learn... but now it seems the
best we have.

I have no problem with the use of "7" but recall that the value "1" also
means an absence of chondirites. Maybe we need to go back to the wisdom of
computer programers and use the "zero/0" value.

Elton