[meteorite-list] Re: Re: (meteorobs) what does a meteorite look like?

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:09 2004

The following thread was initiated on the Meteor
Observer List. Since this subject is "off-topic" for
that discussion group, I have moved this thread over
to our Meteoritecentral List.

Rob McNaught and Ed Majden are not subscribed to our
List. If you want to reply to them, you will have to
insert their email addresses -
<rmn_at_aaocbn.aao.gov.au> <epmajden@home.com>
to your message.

Rob McNaught and Ed Majden are both highly respected
meteoriticists. My personal high regard for these
gentlemen comes from my reading their numerous and
informative posts to the Meteor Observer List and the
Cambridge Conference Correspondence.

Ed Majden is the AMS Meteor Spectroscopy Project
Coordinator of the Sandia Labs All-Sky Camera Network,
a member of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada,
and the Meteorites and Impacts Advisory Committee
(MIAC) of the Canadian Space Agency

Rob McNaught is an astronomer at the Australian
National University working at Siding Spring
Observatory on asteroid searches. In his own time, he
operates a photographic network to record bright
fireballs over NSW, Australia. Rob has been a
panelist on a popular Internet forum on Australian
Broadcasting Corporation called "Rocks in Space", and
is very prominent in the media.

In order to initiate the thread (that I have attached
below) on this List, I would like to start where that
thread left off and reply to Rob McNaught by asking
him this question:

Rob,
Can you be more specific? I need more details in
order to continue this discussion. So, I will ask you
the same question that I asked Ed. Can you NAME any
of the "many meteorites taken out of Australia
illegally that are not available to Australian
researchers". Most of the collectors that I know
would really like to have this information, so that
they can avoid having specimens of these meteorites in
their collections.

Regards,
Bob Verish

------------ Start of Attached Thread --------------

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:26:54 -0800, "Ed Majden" wrote:

> "We don't want the meteorite getting lost to science
> because the price has been driven up in some
> collectors market and often lost to the people who
> should be studying it for clues about the origins of
> the solar system."

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:08:54 -0800 (PST), Robert Verish
<bolidechaser_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ed,
> Can you name ANY meteorite that has ever been "lost
> to the people who should be studying it" due to it's
> high "price"
> or because a "collector" had kept it away from
> researchers?
>
> Bob V.

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 21:27:54 +1100 (EST), Rob McNaught