[meteorite-list] Gold Basin meteorites

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:38 2004

David wrote:

> I'm sure someone can help this fellow out.

Gary inquired:

I have a large number of Gold Basin L4 (presumed) pieces. Rumor has it
that a number of possible L6 types have recently been found. Do you have
any information on what the external differences would be?

Hello All,

In my opinion, there wouldn't be any e x t e r n a l differences
unless it is a fairly fresh fall/find (dark fusion crust, etc.). The
internal structrure, however, especially when viewed in thin section
would easily be recognizable. There would hardly be any chondrules
in an L6, but a lot of recrystallized matrix material.

And, by the way, not every meteorite found in the Gold Basin area is
necessarily an L4 GB meteorite. There are other types lurking out there!

Best wishes for a
Happy New Year,

Bernd