[meteorite-list] NEW METEORITE, Hexahedrite

From: Mike Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:36 2004

Hello everyone, I am pleased to announce that I have acquired a new
meteorite, a 47 kilo Hexahedrite found in Texas in the 1930s or 40s. It
was found by a beekeeper who would move his bees from field to field to
get honey from different crops. He acquired the meteorite from a farmer
who had been hitting a hard rock over the years with his plow and he
finally dug it up. The meteorite had numerous plow mark all over it. The
meteorite was passed down through the family and ended up outside of
Anchorage, Alaska. The family had joked about the stupid heavy rock, and
told the man who inherited it to throw it away for over 30 years! I
found out about it and flew to Alaska last week to buy it. It has been
sliced up over the last 3 days, and we etched it today. It is a
fascinating meteorite, VERY hard, EXTREMELY hard! It has nice Newman
lines, and many nice small triolite inclusions that look like paint
spatters in long lines. One triolite nodule is a PERFECT shape of a
falling star! REALLY cool. I have suffered a terrible cut loss, but I am
proud to present THIN, 3 to 4 mm slices.
    The meteorite has been classified by Dr Wasson, at UCLA. The working
name is Fredericksburg. This could possible change, but it is doubtful.
I will be placing some pieces on my website tomorrow, so keep an eye on
it. If you are interested in acquiring a piece, let me know. For the
moment I will only be selling full slices, but the price is the LOWEST
you will find on a Hexahedrite, FAR less than any others that I hve ever
seen on the market, this is due to a good deal on the meteorite, and I
want to thank all of my customers for the last 4 years of business. I
have pieces now available from ~250 grams to 1 kilo, the large slices
will be finished tomorrow, in the 1200 to 1.8 kilo range. This one will
sell out fast, so dont wait!
Thanks and happy holidays wherever you might be!
Mike Farmer
http://www.meteoritehunter.com