[meteorite-list] My First Hunt

From: Donald O'Keeffe <donald.okeeffe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:34 2004

--------------99B8FEB0568EF933C8E95DD9

Hello list,

After much fantasizing and pondering, I took the plunge. I sold my truck
and my tools, picked up a 1979 Mobile Traveler, a 1980 Yamaha SR250, a
GM IV, and went a huntin'. Here's a picture of my rig .

Being a novice, Gold Basin seemed like the most reasonable place to
begin. It took me four days to find my first stone (I was searching too
far West). It was a little one at 13.9 grams, but obviously I was
thrilled. Finds continued to be few and far between until I got a feel
for the field and my machine. Then things picked up. I ended up with 80
finds for four and a half kilos. Some I'll keep, some I'll sell, and
some are for gifts. When I was out hunting the day after Thanksgiving, I
just thought of myself as a typical American out Christmas shopping.

What a beautiful place to camp, picture post card views no matter which
direction you turn. Beautiful sunrises, sunsets, and star filled
evenings.Not being accustomed to the desert, I found the flora and fauna
fascinating. What would seem to be an inhospitable environment is
actually teeming with life. One morning, when I was out in the field
before sunrise, I startled a bobcat. Ah, makes for a fond memory.

I also found a couple of "mystery stones" that seemed different from my
other Gold Basins.They are currently being analyzed at ASU. The first
test has shown them to be meteoritic. And, I also found some gold. Not a
bad trip.

Sincerely,
Don

--------------99B8FEB0568EF933C8E95DD9

Hello list,
and my tools, picked up a 1979 Mobile Traveler, a 1980 Yamaha SR250, a
GM IV, and went a huntin'. Here's a picture of&nbsp; <a href="http://okeeffe.signalhill.net/images/myrig.jpg">my
rig</a> .