[meteorite-list] Meteor storm in 1947?

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:33 2004

On Fri, 08 December 2000, CalSouth1_at_aol.com wrote:

> My father has described to me what could be a meteorite storm observed in
> 1947 late summer evening, Barstow, Ca.
>
> Does anyone know of such an event and what the source would be? Thanks for
> any answers.
>
> John

There was a meteor storm on Oct 9th, 1946 and it was widely seen here in the southwest US. The Draconids, this shower has the potential to produce some spectacular outbursts-- and some have said it can equal or even exceed the Leonid storms.

I worked with an astronomer at Lowell Observatory in the early 1970's that witnessed the Draconid storm of Oct 9th 1946, as well as the Leonidis of 1966 and his impression was that the 1946 event was much more spectacular, they were slower moving and very, very bright.

I have read that we stand to have a repeat in 2012, not sure though- but it is worth while to watch this shower every October. I think that there is a slight precession in its orbit so it advances later into the month with each successive year.

Steve Schoner, AMS