[meteorite-list] How Many Meteorites Fall?

From: Kelly Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:33 2004

Hi, Roman,
    I thought about the Claxton mailbox, but hadn't calculated it, Here
goes: assume a mailbox has a cross section of about .06 m^2 (about 15
mailboxes to the square meter) and that there are no more than
60,000,000 rural families with roadside mailboxes. That gives a total
cross section of rural mailboxes of 4 km^2, which should have about one
hit every 2000 years at a fall rate of 60,000 meteorites per year,
making the mailbox hit pretty remarkable. That means we don't have to
check the mailboxes for meteorites too often, unless the "hits" on the
mailbox are coming from eBay auctions ;-)

Kelly Webb