[meteorite-list] artifacts and meteorites

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:31 2004

Having communicated with Dr. Blakeslee in the recent
past, I feel I should attempt some form of
introduction. To save space and time, I will just
offer to you these following URLs:

Donald Blakeslee "bio" -
<http://www.wichita.edu/public/ldhmawww/public_html/faculty.html>

Recent Honors and his picture -
<http://www.wichita.edu/public/inside/public_html/4-1-99/picnic.htm>

Recent field work and artifact finds -
<http://www.wichita.edu/public/inside/public_html/_at_9-7-2000/yellowstone_find.htm>

How ranked by students -
<http://www.wichita.edu/public/news/public_html/inside/9-12-97/academy.html>

Past Awards -
<http://www.wichita.edu/public/news/public_html/inside/4-17-98/ofnote.html>

Welcome to the Meteoritecentral meteorite-list Donald
Blakeslee.

Bob V.

--- Donald Blakeslee <blakesle_at_twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu>
wrote:
> Hello to all:
>
> I am new to the list and am interested in
> communicating with those of you who actively search
> for meteorites in the field. I am an archaeologist
> interested in Native American uses of meteorites and
> am hoping to find some new information from some of
> you.
>
> I have been combing the literature for references to
> meteorites from archaeological sites and have found
> quite a few, but there I keep running into problems
> of various sorts. First, most archaeologists
> wouldn't know a meteorite if it hit them on the
head,
> so an unknown number that have been excavated have
> not been reported as such. For instance, in the
> report of the old excavations at Pecos, there is a
> brief mention of some small dark brown rocks that
are
> very heavy for their size. Since they were found
with
> a few other items that relate to ritual, there is a
> good possibility that they are meteorites.
>
> A second problem is with the meteorite literature,
> and that's where I hope you can help me. Many of
the
> find spots are described so poorly that it is
> impossible to tell whether the meteorite was in
> association with any artifacts. The Winona
meteorite
> was found with some charcoal adhering to its
> oxidation crust, which might be a clue. The Lost
Draw