[meteorite-list] RE; artifacts and meteorites

From: Charlie <moonrock25_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:31 2004

Hello Frank and list;

In the case of the Willamette meteorite, a settlement was reached
between the tribe and the AMNH which allowed for joint custody, but the
meteorite would remain at the AMNH. In return, the display will
referance the history of the meteorites' spiritual importance to the
tribe and the tribe will be allowed sole access to the meteorite for
cerimonial purposes on a specified day each year.

Regarding the surface collecting of artifacts.
Laws vary from state to state. In most states, collecting on state
property is prohibited. But, in Washington state, for example, it is
unlawful to collect even an arrowhead found on the surface of one's own
property. I have surface hunted for artifacts in southeastern New
England for much of my life. Like most collectors in the U.S., much of
my hunting is done in cultivated fields on private property with the
owners permission, which is fine in most states. I don't know the laws
for each state but it does vary and may depend on what one means by
"surface". In Florida, for instance, the rivers are a rich source of
archaeological resources, and hunting in the rivers is not allowed. That
is not the case here in Rhode Island, and I have found many nice
artifacts on river banks and shorelines in the offseason when the
cornfields are played-out. Never found a meteorite while surface
hunting artifacts though, and don't expect I ever will.

Regards,
-Charlie