[meteorite-list] Who sold their collection to a pawn shop?

From: Don Merchant <dmerchan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 12:36:13 -0500

Its funny bringing this up. "Low ball" most likely. Not easy selling an
entire collection since the world of collecting meteorites is tiny
percentage compared to other type hobbies. I know when I sold my collection
I Thoroughly and meticulously spent 4 months going through many Dealer
sites to get an idea what prices were fair for my collection piece by piece
and what I truly spent on it over a 20 year period. I was stunned what low
ball offers I received by Dealers and Collectors, yet they sell their pieces
on their sites for top dollar!

I decided to sell my collection to an institution that we both agreed in
writing to never resell my collection for profit but rather display the
collection as a way to draw Folks to the institution for learning and
educational purposes. The institution would make money via an admission fee
to view the collection and other attractions they have set up. Did I take a
loss? You bet I did, but at least I know my efforts, time and money over 20
years collecting meteorites was not in vain. It will now be viewed by
thousands of Folks rather than a few if I just displayed the collection in
my house, thus worth it. I left a legacy so to speak as my name is displayed
on the collection in the institution and I can travel and see my collection
free at any time!

I sold my collection because as I got older I did not want to leave it to be
sold by my family after I take my last breath here on this Earth. They would
have had no idea where to begin with it and or how to sell it nor what value
it was worth. A burden I did not want to leave them.

With the Covid 19 running this world into the ground, especially Folks
losing their jobs, houses etc. it would not surprise me some collector
needing quick cash from a Pawn shop to pay bills and such. Desperate times
call for desperate measures. Sad as it is, we do what we need to do.

Cheers and Happy Holidays to ALL you meteorite Folks out there.