[meteorite-list] Will Breja ever be classified?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 14:55:34 -0400

Re : the so-called "Breja" fall of May 01, 2010 in Morocco.

I recall that a good bit of material from this fall appeared on the
market for a period of time after the fall, then it got forgotten as
newer and more interesting material surfaced later. It was a fresh OC
with a battleship-grey matrix with sparse metal fleck and shock
veining. Specimens had velvetly black crust.

A couple of years after the fall, I inquired about it to a few dealers
and somebody told me that a scientist at a leading institution said
that Breja would not be classified because it originated from Algeria
and there were legal/ethical issues surrounding it. I don't recall who
exactly said this and I think it was in a private email discussion.

Well, several more years have gone by, and I still wonder about this
old fall when I update my "Recent Falls" meteorite page. And it occurs
to me that there have been many new finds approved in the Met Bull
that come out of Algeria - it doesn't seem to be an issue recently. In
fact, the latest Met Bull update contains three different meteorites
out of Algeria.

So, is Breja not being classified because nobody is trying (nobody has
submitted a sample) or is it because no reputable institution will
touch it? And if the latter, then why not?

Best regards,

MikeG