[meteorite-list] Educational presentations at Tucson?

From: AL Mitorling <mittmet51_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 17:07:20 -0400

Hi Michael,

I think your idea has merit but Doug points out some good points. What I
would suggest if you were able to arrange this, first, I'd have
presentations and talks more during the evenings after dinner time. Second,
if you were to have a list of topics that were going to be addressed along
with a time line, well ahead of the Tucson Show, so people could attend
areas they were interested in. Maybe post the topics a week ahead of time
before the show and post them again just before and during the show, I
think you would get a steady group of people that would attend.

Things like this cost money, but a fee to cover and off set costs would be
fine as long as it wasn't too much or you would loose people. Perhaps a fee
for each talk people want to attend. You might also offer some refreshments
for a modest fee to off set the costs. I'd see if you couldn't get a hotel
to donate a room for the talks. This could be all or part of the cost of
the meeting room.

I wouldn't appreciate dealers making an info commercial but if they gave
solid science type of program, then fine. I have organized sizable
conventions before (over 300 attendees) and it can be a lot of work but
there is a lot of great scientist that are in the area or attend and I am
sure that some of them would be glad to offer informative talks for the
troops during the show. Good luck and hope you are able to succeed! Best!

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites