[meteorite-list] Educational presentations at Tucson?

From: almitt2 at localnet.com <almitt2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 20:08:32 -0400

Hi Michael

I think your idea has merit but Doug points out some good points. What
I would suggest if you were able to arrange this, first, I'd have
presentations and talks more during the evenings after dinner time.
Second, if you were to have a list of topics that were going to be
addressed along with a time line, well ahead of the Tucson Show, so
people could attend areas they were interested in. Maybe post the
topics a week ahead of time before the show and post them again just
before and during the show, I think you would get a steady group of
people that would attend.

Things like this cost money, but a fee to cover and off set costs would
be fine as long as it wasn't too much or you would loose people.
Perhaps a fee for each talk people want to attend. You might also offer
some refreshments for a modest fee to off set the costs. I'd see if you
couldn't get a hotel to donate a room for the talks. This could be all
or part of the cost of the meeting room.

I wouldn't appreciate dealers making an info commercial but if they
gave solid science type of program, then fine. I have organized sizable
conventions before (over 300 attendees) and it can be a lot of work but
there is a lot of great scientist that are in the area or attend and I
am sure that some of them would be glad to offer informative talks for
the troops during the show. Good luck and hope you are able to succeed!
Best!

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites

Quoting Michael Doran via Meteorite-list
<meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>:

> In my previous life as a systems librarian at a university, I
> regularly attended conferences and user group meetings.? An
integral
> aspect of these conferences/meetings were educational presentations

> done by attendees. It occurred to me that presentations are
something
> that might enhance the experience of attending the Tucson Show.??
>
> For example, while I know that there's nothing I can teach the old
> hands, there are a number of things I'm figuring out as a newbie
that
> I think would be of interest to other newbies.? Here are examples
of
> presentations I would be willing to do, if the opportunity
presented
> itself:
>
> 1) Meteorite collection development plans: what they are and why
you
> should have one
>
> 2) Meteorite storage and display solutions for small (< 40
specimen)
> collections
>
> And as an *attendee* I would really be interested in presentations
> from people doing actual meteorite science about the work they are
> doing (geared towards an educated lay audience).? Also, I would be
> interested in presentations from dealers about various aspects of
> meteorite acquisition, classification, and preparation.
>
> To make this work would require:
>
> A meeting room
> --------------
> A meeting room at one of the main meteorite venues at the Tucson
Show
> that for certain times/days could be devoted to presentations.? The

> room would need to have a basic presentation set-up: a speaker's
> table and/or podium with a way to connect a computer to a projector

> and chairs for the audience.? The Tucson show lasts two weeks, but
> would anticipate that the presentations part would only be for one
or
> maybe two days.
>
> Organization
> Someone to:
> - Put out a call for presenters, and
> - Based on response, determine how many time slots were needed, and
> - Assign presentations to time slots in schedule and notify
presenters, and
> - Put out a presentation schedule with titles/abstracts prior to
Tucson show