[meteorite-list] Meteorite newbie intro

From: alienrockfarm <alienrockfarm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 18:54:48 +0000 (UTC)

Welcome Michael!

Larry Atkins
On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 Michael Doran via Meteorite-list <eikoph at yahoo.com> wrote:
The meteorite bug bit me pretty hard last year.?My name is Michael Doran and I live in Fort Worth, Texas.? I'm sure many of you know that Fort Worth is the home of the Monnig Meteorite Gallery at TCU (which is very convenient for me!).? I have been busy reading up on the subject and have started collecting on a modest scale.? I've also been browsing through the Meteorite List Archive and thought I should introduce myself.

While everything about meteorites interests me, I have decided that primitive meteorites (carbonaceous chondrites and type 3 ordinary chondrites) will be the focus of my initial collecting efforts.? I even wrote up a detailed collection development plan. :-)

Because at this stage my ignorance knows no bounds, I have been asking questions of some of the experts and I thank them for their patience.? I want to give a shout-out to Matthew Stream, Jason Utas, Anne Black, Greg Hupe, Aras Jonikas, and Marcin Cimala for their helpful responses.

Attending the Tucson show would likely have been a waste of time for me this year, since I had only just gotten started on my collecting strategy.? I would have ended up buying specimens that, while awesome -- oooh, look at those beautiful pallasites! oooh, Vinales fresh from Cuba! -- didn't fit that plan.? I did, however, get a good feel for the Tucson show thanks to Topher Spinnato's live streaming on Facebook, and I definitely plan on attending Tucson in 2020.

So anyway... hello meteorite peeps!

-- Michael

Michael Doran
Fort Worth, TX