[meteorite-list] Meteorite Picture of the Day

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 12:29:22 -0700

Adam,
Since you keep suggesting that it was Greg's doing, and not yours...

"The Hup? Collection" self-paired a medium and a fine octahedrite.
Different bandwidths, different structures, different types of
inclusions. One was a fresh, sculpted, fusion-crusted iron. The
other was a round, weathered lump. The photos on ebay were enough to
tell they were different. "The Hup? Collection" said they were the
same.

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=17885

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=33524

These mistakes are surfacing on the POD, from well known collectors who
*trusted you.* With "Hup? Collection" labels that are *wrong.*

That is indefensible.

You never even reached out to Bernd and the other buyers to let them
know of the mistake, after you knew of it? Or did Bernd miss your
email?

In response, you're "accusing me" of...making 100% certain that my
samples were what they were, via SEM. Most of the material that I
didn't keep went to labs, and they were presumably grateful to get NWA
7034 at less than a third of what other sellers were charging.

None of my material was misrepresented. Not one milligram.

Pointing out that I *got it right* isn't exactly a good rebuttal.
Especially when you're okay with other scientists doing nothing more
than *eyeballing* your own stones to claim they're paired. I
literally did more to verify my NWA 7034 than you did to verify your
NWA 1110.

Oh, and the Nom. Com. essentially did away with type specimen
requirements for paired DCA meteorites some time ago.

Read the rules. Section 7.1 (g).

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/docs/nc-guidelines.pdf

If you want to get a new piece of [anything paired] approved, all you
need is data. No type specimen is required.

You say that self-pairing is bad. I point out that you messed it up.
In response, you point out that I paired some material correctly, as
though it's somehow the same or worse. And you push "rules" that
no one follows -- and that don't even exist.

It's still -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Jason