[meteorite-list] Meteorites Recovered From Ocean Bottom

From: Mark Hammergren <mhammergren_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 11:41:01 -0500

Hi Rob,
Excellent question! We've been working on a recovery effort for the
Feb. 6, 2017 Wisconsin / Lake Michigan meteorites since shortly after
that fall. Marc Fries is part of this collaboration between the Adler
Planetarium, Field Museum, and Shedd Aquarium to retrieve fragments of
these meteorites using a magnet-equipped underwater sled, with some
reconnaissance using small ROVs. The predicted spatial density of
large fragments is pretty low, but we're hopeful that we can find some
of the more numerous tiny fragments that are certainly out there. The
project is being implemented primarily through the work of our teen
volunteers and interns -- mostly because involving the public in our
work is what we do, but also because nobody funds scientists to hunt
for meteorites (ANSMET being an exception).
The nature of the lake bottom is quite varied, and largely unmapped
throughout the strewn field. While there are significant stretches of
clean sand and silt, there are also outcrops of bedrock, colonies of
zebra and quagga mussels, and at least two known shipwrecks. Hopefully
no great amount of taconite pellets from the northern iron mines!
You can learn more about "The Aquarius Project" at:
https://www.adlerplanetarium.org/education/far-horizons/the-aquarius-project/
Best regards,
-- Mark