[meteorite-list] Seismic Event w/ Bolide?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 12:21:50 -0700

I'd also like to point out that the description of "magnitude 2.0" is
rather sloppy. Seismographic magnitude scales (e.g. Richter,
moment-magnitude) attempt to provide a measure of the energy released by
an earth movement, at the epicenter, focus, or along the moving section.
It is completely separate from a measurement of intensity (e.g. modified
Mercalli scale). For a geological seismic event, the magnitude is fixed
but the intensity varies with distance and various geological factors.

What the seismometer was directly measuring here was intensity. Perhaps
by "magnitude 2.0" they meant the intensity was the same at the
measurement station as what would have been recorded if it were at the
epicenter of a magnitude 2.0 earthquake.

Anyway, the useful information is apparent in the actual data which show
the signature in terms of ground velocity versus time. From that it is
possible to derive actual information about the energy dissipated in the
atmosphere and delivered to the ground.

Typical kinetic energies for fireball events like this may be on the
order of 10^11 joules or more- say, 100 tons TNT equivalent.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com