[meteorite-list] [IMCA List] IMCA BoD Election 2017: Questions about Provenance for Candidates and all Members

From: Mendy Ouzillou <mendy.ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 15:38:08 -0500

Hello everyone,

First and foremost, I am a collector. As such, the provenance of my specimens is as important to me as the specimens themselves. As stated previously, the main focus of the IMCA is to ensure authenticity and this is an issue the IMCA board of Directors take very seriously. So, I will respond as a collector and a candidate for the IMCA board.

I, like Anne, also stay away from specimens whose chain of custody includes collectors/dealers with a bad reputation. The importance of provenance and the chain of custody have become more and more important to me over time. I have had to learn the hard way that some mistakes made by sellers are innocent and some mistakes are not mistakes but outright fraud. In that time and especially during my transition into becoming a dealer, I have learned that it is just as important to provide my and previous owners' specimen cards to ensure a continuous chain of custody. One reason is that no laboratory will spend time testing my Ash Creek is a NWA-look alike or the real deal. Not that the labs can't perform the testing, just that the analysis results of one L6 are very often difficult to distinguish from another L6. Unfortunately, not all meteorites are as unique as Tatahouine or Gujba to make them "obvious". So, coming back to provenance and chain of custody, this is often the only guarantee we as collectors have t
hat the specimen in your collection is in fact authentic.

As my wife has (very patiently and graciously) been conducting a complete inventory of my collection and items for sale, another issue has surfaced. Specimens that I bought (when I first started collecting) being listed as classified or being a certain type that later turn out to be neither. So, always check the MetBull to make sure the item you are buying is what you think it is. Also, never be afraid to ask your dealer whatever questions you feel are appropriate to give you confidence in that purchase.

With our membership's feedback and board action, we can make improvements to the Code of Ethics to provide better guidelines that help protect buyers and sellers.

Best,

Mendy