[meteorite-list] First recorded visit to this solar system by an interstellar object

From: Matson, Rob D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 19:29:05 +0000

Hi Mike,

It is indeed an intriguing interloper, with much speculation on MPML as to its
possible origin and the dynamics of its ejection from its original star system.
Its spectral characteristics (admittedly limited spectral resolution so far) seem
more consistent with an asteroid than a comet, though there is no real
dividing line between an asteroid and an inactive comet -- more a continuum
between the two. Suffice to say the object is "red" with no strong spectral
peaks or troughs in the visible band.

One small correction to your post below -- the object certainly originated
in our galaxy, or one of the dwarf galaxies that is gravitationally bound to it
(e.g. the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy). There has been insufficient time for the
body to travel intergalactic distances, even from as close as Andromeda.
Unfortunately, we will never know the identity of the star system from which
it originated. --Rob