[meteorite-list] Bishopville aubrite

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 19:27:48 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Peter,
Found a couple of instances where meteorites may have been recovered by slaves.
Richmond, Virginia fell in 1828 and most probably was recovered by slaves. "An overseer and several negroes were at work..." "The persons hastened toward the place...and after considerable search. found a hole in the turf..." "They dug and got the stone..."
Forsyth, Georgia fell in 1829 and may have been recovered by slaves. Concerning the fall circumstances, it was written that "This extraordinary noise was on the same evening accounted for by Mr. Sparks and Captain Postian, who happened to be near some Negros working in a field 1 mile south of this place, who discovered a large stone descending through the air..."
As a plug, I'll note that these accounts were taken from my book, "From Weston to Creston - A Compendium an Witnessed US Meteorite Falls - 1807 to 2016" Books still available ;-)
All the best,
Frank