[meteorite-list] Articles About Meteorites And Asteroids

From: ALAN RUBIN <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:16:41 -0800

Is this the first published description of a falling meteorite? It's from
the Aeneid Book II:

The old man had barely spoken when, with a sudden crash,

it thundered on the left, and a star, through the darkness,

slid from the sky, and flew, trailing fire, in a burst of light.

We watched it glide over the highest rooftops,

and bury its brightness, and the sign of its passage,

in the forests of Mount Ida: then the furrow of its long track

gave out a glow, and, all around, the place smoked with sulphur.

--
Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
e-mail: aerubin at ucla.edu
website: http://cosmochemists.igpp.ucla.edu/Rubin.html