[meteorite-list] Fwd: Meteor Noises Probed by Researchers

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 07:03:38 -1000

I too have heard a buzzing sound while a bright bolide (Vmag~-13) fell during the 2001 Leonid shower on the summit of Maunakea. I?ve thought they were electrophonic sound.

From Wikipedia:
Sometimes, after a meteor shower, people report hearing the meteors. Some exceptionally bright meteors have been reported as being accompanied by a low hissing sound ? like bacon sizzling. These sounds are believed to be generated by very low frequency radio waves interacting with the local environment.

The 2001 Leonids produced numerous electrophonic sounds, according to a report by NASA.

The GEFS (Global Electrophonic Fireball Survey) is a project of the University of Kentucky and Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) with the purpose of collecting witness reports of electrophonic sounds from meteors and coordinating research efforts. They have collected over 100 reports of such phenomena.