[meteorite-list] Article : 21st Century Meteorite Falls, Part Two

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:46:30 -0600

Always an interesting topic!

A couple of things come to mind:

Morocco has 8 falls in the 21st century, which you suggest has to do
with the meteorite-savvy population and desert terrain. California has
a very similar area and population density -- also a west facing coast
line, a fair amount of desert, and a mountain range. How many 21st
century falls in CA?

We are over-due for a lunar falls! There are now 265 classified lunars
-- all of them finds. Compare that with 5 martian falls and 177
classified finds, or for example mesosiderites with 6 falls and 261
classified finds. Aubrites have 9 falls and 63 finds.

Brachinites have no falls (40 finds), any others?

Carl

*************************************
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126