[meteorite-list] iron meteorite natural color

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 01:47:00 -0500

As hinted to by Marcin, putting a false surface on a meteorite is anything except natural! It would not be an authentic surface. You could as well electroplate it with gold. Cleaning on the other hand removed the natural surface. IMO if you clean it and get bare metal, it is best to learn to like the surface. If it is too bright, rub it in a little mineral oil under the assumption that it is for 'protection' and removable anytime. That can darken it.

Happy Holidays
Doug