[meteorite-list] Thin Section-Xpol

From: John Lutzon <jl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 17:36:13 -0400

Greetings List,

I hope all is well with everyone.
After a un-planned hiatus, i'm beginning to reassemble some of my equipment
and again hope to take pics of TS's. In the past (before my coma) I remember
taking some decent pic's but never recorded scope, lighting or camera settings.
I will eventually re-figure those settings.

Years ago, regarding one of my MPOD TS pics, a comment was made
(by a well known and respected member) that my colors appeared "off".
He inquired what objectives I was using. I have several microscpes with
"adaquate" objectives.

Thus, my questions (finally):

Is the distance to the object pertinent to the bottom/top polarizer
on the Z axis?

Assuming Both polarizers are at 0 on the Y axis (extinction)---IS there
a certain angle/degree on the X axis (either polarizer) that shows the "true"
colors of a particular meteorite? Or, does one need to isolate a particular
mineral color and the remnant colors are what they are??

As always, All best
John Lutzon