[meteorite-list] Request for assistance

From: FRIES, MARC D. <marc.d.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 17:10:58 +0000

Howdy ladies and gents

        I am working with summer intern Colleen Laird from Case Western Reserve
U. to develop mathematical tools for quantifying meteorite falls from
radar data. Colleen has made superb progress and we should soon be able
to offer estimates for the total mass that falls in any given meteorite
fall, the percent that is actually recovered, and possibly provide some
insight on the type of meteorite that falls from its radar behavior
(maybe!). To do these things, we need to calculate the mass of meteorites
seen in previous meteorite falls, and to that we need accurate time stamps
for the fireball terminus (e.g. The point when a meteor goes dark).
Terminus altitudes are useful too, but we really need the times as
accurately as possible.

        Of the meteorite falls Colleen is working on, we don?t have an accurate
time stamp for the following ones. Could I ask y?all to dig into your
videos and notes for these events and look for terminus times? We will
produce a paper and make it available, and should be able to estimate the
total mass reaching the ground for future meteorite falls.

Cheers,
Marc Fries