[meteorite-list] Cutting An Iron

From: John Pierce <lumin9_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 11:27:51 -0700

Al,
Thanks for the information about the CBN blades. Good to know!

I took the meteorite to the folks at PSU. They inspected/tested it and
advised that their equipment is not big enough to hold/cut the stone.
I didn't see their saw, so I don't know for sure what their limiting factor
is, but their blade is only 4 inches diameter.

I appreciate your advice, but I trust myself more than I trust most other
people, and I am pretty capable at most shop things. I've done a lot of
machining on steel, and I have another small iron meteorite (if it is even
genuine) that I purchased years ago that I would "practice" on. I have a
horizontal milling machine in my shop that is much more rigid and precise
than any band saw, and which can outfit with a saw blade. With appropriate
care, I can cut a slice of steel that has faces that are parallel within a
few thousandths of an inch. So, while I will consider your advice very
seriously, I'm not quite ready just yet to completely give up the idea of
cutting an analysis sample myself.

Thanks for your wishes of good luck.