[meteorite-list] China Now Hosts The World's Largest Gem and Mineral Show

From: Michael Farmer <mike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 07:46:36 -0700

Exactly Peter,
There are political motives behind the show in Changsha/chenzhou. It is government owned. The local governments are trying to get an airport built at Chenzhou. They wanted those hundreds of thousands of visitors to spur demand for an airport and development. The hundreds of thousands of visitors were all local peasants. None of them knew a thing about what they were looking at, much less have interest in spending a single yuan.
Certainly there were buyers there and a lot of money was made, but none of that had anything to do with the visitor numbers. I think 1000 people would have been far better.

There is also no way to gauge Tucson attendance. The only number they use is the ticket sales at the main show at the convention center. When that is open I'm ready closed. There are hundreds of venues all over the city.
The song "Don't cry for me Argentina" comes to mind. We do quite well thank you very much Adam:)

Michael Farmer

Sent from my iPad