[meteorite-list] Case study: Lake Eyre meteorite vs. U.S.

From: Raremeteorites <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 18:04:39 -0800

I wish what you said was true. Our entire group was hassled around the
Pahrump area in Nevada and twice in California. Eight of our team members
were threatened (warned) and I know others on the List who have been hassled
as well. Two agents based out Barstow went as far as saying they know what
is being sold on eBay. We were told that some public land is designated as
heritage or areas of areas of critical concern which are completely off
limits while metal detectors cannot be used in other areas. I cannot find
any source which lists these areas so an agent can determine this in field
so be careful. Just ask artifact and fossils hunters what happened with
their once-fine avocation including the fellow who found "Sue" the dinosaur.