[meteorite-list] Lake Eyre meteorite 'Crown property', researchers required to hand findings over

From: ian macleod <ianmacca81_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 22:13:07 +0000

Hi List, we can bang on about laws all day (which actually vary here in Australia between states) and also point fingers at scientists and museum staff we don't know. At the end of the day the law is the law...Deal with it

There is no elitism going on, these guys are nice enough they just have to make a point and warning in respect to laws.?

Bob is right the Canadian model is a better system. The USA has too much freedom that is abused, Australia the opposite occurs

The idea meteorites are not found or reported in Australia is far from accurate.?

See the USA enjoys a 'few' remaining labs that processing many kilograms?of potentially stolen property out of NWA, this?has given the?appearance of very active work, and that something new is happening......respectfully I beg to differ

We now have 50,000 meteorites and only 6 or so that we have orbit data for. The orbit ones were all found by camera networks NOT guys all over Africa

So when it comes to collecting the next find like baseball cards or wanting to see meteoritics evolve.....I chose evolution

I constantly see deception, fraud, ridiculous pricing, items stolen out of countries, governments and scientists disrespected,?incorrectly described items, dubious provenance, destroyed samples, tiny fragments, endless provenance hand balling?etc etc

and this is coming from many IMCA and non IMCA sellers and hunters

So sorry lads Im sticking with the scientists on this one and the with?few people in the private collecting meteorite community I trust....

Ian