[meteorite-list] Mining Asteroids

From: Sean Brooks <shockwaveroxx_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 22:27:35 -0600

Hello Listers,
                     Over the years there's been a lot of talk about
mining asteroids for gold, diamonds, platinum and other valuable
metals. There are groups forming companies, looking for investors and
finding them. What I'm wondering is if all that treasure is out
there wouldn't we already have found it in the tens of thousands of
meteorite samples we know about within the meteorite community? I
realize we've found nano diamonds and nickel along with the iron group
material but is there any thing indicating that there's any reason to
justify the expense of an space mining operation? If I'm wrong about
what we've already found in meteorite samples please correct me. Any
thoughts?

Sean Brooks