[meteorite-list] National Monuments

From: Raremeteorites <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 15:31:28 -0800

Yes, these National Monuments sound good for a few peoples legacies and egos
but it is not what our founding fathers intended. For all practical
purposes, since you can no longer go off trail with an off-road vehicle, 99%
of this land is no longer accessible for recreational pursuits. I was just
out rock hounding on this land a few weeks ago on my way to Quartzsite, AZ
with my stepson and some friends. Now this area is no longer available
since it would require the illegal use of a four wheel drive vehicle to get
to and it is now illegal to pick up near-worthless thunder eggs and geodes,
not to mention if we were lucky enough to find a meteorite.

Another concern is that there are tens of thousands of homeless people
living along the Mohave Corridor that has now been nationalized. We had to
weave in and out of off-the-gird campsites that many people now call their
homes since they lost their houses and need somewhere warm to stay for the
winter. To be frank, it looked like a scene from Mad Max movie set and it
is hard to believe we were not in some third world country. Where are they
to go now that this land has been nationalized?

At this accelerated rate, I believe all land will be off-limits, for all
purposes, in less than a decade, unless you are willing to be herded like
cattle on paved roads through National Monuments.

Adam

  four by four,