[meteorite-list] FW: Incredible Wine Alert: Barry Schuler's Meteor

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 22:55:54 -0400

"Barry Schuler's Meteor"

OK, I aslo had been hearing about this ... let me share what a quick check up on it yielded: Nothing meteoric about this besides a 5 cent label (Does the owner collect meteorites? I dunno).

Looks to me like the "meteor" name was was inspired from the company Medior, Inc. in the 1990's. Mr. Schuler went bankrupt with his prior Internet bubble company. Not content with that, Medior was incorporated as a company that took its name from adding *media* content ... mainly to Apple and AOL as it turned out. Eventually AOL took it over and with him in management worked through inflating valuations until they could take over Time-Warner in the world's most lopsided, poorly made merger imaginable.

At that time AOL (which included Medior attempting to "develop AOL further) was widely hated by almost everyone on the Internet due to their marketing and billing practices. When AOL crashed and burned, the owner's golden parachute and his 1990's sweet dream in life was to make it big and retire in a vineyard with his business partner he married then. The first commercial single-origin bottles (vs sold to blenders) were produced in 2005 and and more quantities in 2006. Since 2013, the 2006 is supposed to be entering its prime, which should continue another 8 years or so. Since the price has been edging down it looks like it is not doing as well as they hoped.

Anyway, the meteor business is purely a marketing label, unless you consider all the river rocks (could be viewed as meteor-wrongs!) that were scattered throughout the vineyard, there is nothing interesting here.

>From the folks who brought you AOL, and made you hate it, over $100 per bottle shipped (at 59% off "list" today only), the only meteoric thing I can find to review about this wine is its price ... *gulp* (gulps on sale are $10 ea.)...

That said, if you think it tastes good, that would be thanks to the couple working the land that put their heart and soul into administering the place and I wish them well as all hard-working American farmers! Disclaimer: Never tasted it, and probably never will.

I predict that wine futures of this beverage will crash and burn in its time ... like any good meteor, after the lights go out, just like AOL which incidentally is currently an excellent service for economical email under new management that is no longer looking at creating a modern-day tulipmania and cashing in before brick and mortar folk have time to mull over what's happening :-)

Kindest wishes
Doug