[meteorite-list] Ad: Many Affordable Specimens Available (Free Ad 2/2)

From: Bigjohn Shea <bigjohnshea_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 18:34:58 +0200

Dear Meteorite Enthusiasts,
Hope you have all been having a great week!

Available are some affordable representative specimens, with strong provenance at great prices. There is a brief list below for ease of reading, but if you would like to read more about the specimens offered, scroll down to find a larger description.

I only sell specimens from my collection when I have extras of them, so I am not rigid on prices. Offers welcomed. Please contact me off list for photos.

Free domestic priority shipping on orders over $35. Otherwise I will provide an estimate for shipping domestic or international.

Cheers!
John A. Shea
IMCA 3295

NWA 267, H4 ? 3.5g full slice some shock veining ? 11$
NWA 267, H4 ? 5.9g full slice w/ lovely shock veining ? 18$
NWA 267, H4 ? 6.6g end cut w/ an interesting white weathering line ? 20$
NWA 267, H4 ? 8.2g end cut w/ lovely shock veining ? 25$
NWA 10310, L6 ? 10.4g full slice ? 26$
Stewart Valley 001, H6 ? 6.4g end cut ? 32$
Stewart valley 001, H6 ? 8.2g full slice ? 41$
Stewart Valley 015, H6 ? 0.49g part slice ? 7$
Oued el Hadjar, LL6 ? 0.4g part slice ? 10$
NWA 4301, Enstatite Achon-Ungrouped ? lot of micros in a capsule ? 10$
NWA 7133, CO3.1 ? sub-mg part slice ? 5$
Santa Catharina, Ungrouped Ataxite ? 0.545g ? 30$
Santo Antonio do Descoberto, IIAB Hexahedrite ? 1.3g - $35
Carancas, H4-5 ? 0.4g ? 25$
Tagish Lake, C2-Ung ? Sub-mg fragment ? 5$
Decaturville, Impact Breccia ? 122.7g part slice ? 15$
Canyon Diablo Impactite, Impact Glass ? 0.9g individual ? 15$
Agoudal (Imichil), IIAB ? 4.47g sculpted specimen ? 10$
Camel Donga, Eucrite ? 0.1g small end cut ? 5$
NWA 8744, Diogenite ? Sub-gram fragment ? 5$
Gebel Kamil Meteorite Collectible Coin ? 10$
Tagish Lake, C2-ungrouped ? micro ? 5$
Toufassour, Mesosiderite ? 0.231g fragment ? 10$
Uruacu, IAB-MG ? 1.04g small part slice ? 5$
Valera, L5 ? 0.242g small part slice ? 10$
Wolf Creek, Oxidized specimen ? 16.8g end cut ? 15$
Yelland Dry Lake, H4 ? 2.63g fragment ? 5$

Descriptions:

NWA 267, H4 ? 3.5g full slice some shock veining ? 11$
NWA 267, H4 ? 5.9g full slice w/ lovely shock veining ? 18$
NWA 267, H4 ? 6.6g end cut w/ an interesting white weathering line ? 20$
NWA 267, H4 ? 8.2g end cut w/ lovely shock veining ? 25$
I recently acquired two complete specimens of NWA 267 that originated from an old collection. I decided to cut one to see what the result would be and I was pleased with the pattern of shock veining present. I decided to keep cutting and produce a few nice slices for sale. These will come with my provenance, and a copy of the provenance from Michael Gilmer.
NWA 267 is a bulky OC (TKW 74kg) from early in the NWA era. Found and classified in the year 2000, it was once one of the more abundant NWAs around but most of the specimens are now squirreled away in private collections so it is no longer seen often for sale.

NWA 10310, L6 ? 10.4g full slice ? 26$
This is one of my own classifications, and will come with my provenance. This is a slice of the main mass.
This L6 was plucked from the hot desert in 2013, and classified by CML in 2015. The specimen bears an abundance of grey and bluish chondrites, some large some small, some barred in iron. There was an abnormal weathering pattern along the length of the meteorite, and this specimen bears some weathering, but still appears attractive and complex.

Stewart Valley 001, H6 ? 6.4g end cut ? 32$
Stewart valley 001, H6 ? 8.2g full slice ? 41$
I recently acquired a 102g mass paired to Stewart Valley 001 from Moni and Bob Verish and these were cut from that mass. These will come with a copy of the provenance for that larger mass, as well as my provenance.
Stewart Valley is a DCA (Dense Collection Area) that covers parts of California and Nevada, largely in the form of a dry lake bed. This specimen was found in Nevada by the above mentioned hunters and paired to 001 by Bob Verish, who submitted the main mass of 001 to UCLA for classification. One end of the larger specimen had a rough broken surface, so I elected to put it under the saw and make a clean end cut out of it. It had a nice interior to it so I made one more slice before packing the larger mass up in a shadow box. My saw is pretty rudimentary, and I do not have any good mechanical equipment for polishing/buffing specimens. I was not able to get all the saw marks out of these unfortunately for fear of pressing too hard with the sand paper and breaking the specimens. They still turned out nice, but are not perfect unfortunately.

Stewart Valley 015, H6 ? 0.49g part slice ? 7$
This is one of a small lot of Stewart Valley 015 purchased from the above mentioned hunters. It will come with a copy of their provenance, as well as my own provenance.
015 is also an H6 from the same DCA as 001 described above. 015 was found by another well known meteorite hunter named Larry Sloan, and like many specimens from DCAs in Western USA is somewhat hard to find. Labs have not taken as much of an interest in classifying OCs from DCAs in the US, so specimens are not as widely available as NWA OCs are.

Oued el Hadjar, LL6 ? 0.4g part slice ? 10$
This specimen was acquired from Arizona Meteorites some years ago, but unfortunately I may have misplaced the provenance card. I will provide my own provenance card with written indication of its origin.
Oued el Hadjar is a historically interesting meteorite. The meteorite was witnessed to fall by a group of Nomads in the deserts outside of Morocco during the spring of 1986. Since this fall happened close to the date of a wedding, the nomads chose to ?sacrifice? the meteorite for the benefit of the wedding. The meteorite was smashed on an alter and broken into many pieces as a result. Specimens of meteorites used in such a ritualistic manner are somewhat rare, and OeH is relatively hard to find as a result.

NWA 4301, Enstatite Achondrite-Ungrouped ? lot of micros in a capsule ? 10$
This is a portion of a slightly larger lot of specimens originated from the collection of Greg Hupe. They will come with a copy of his provenance card, as well as my own provenance.
Enstatite meteorites have a high content of the mineral Enstatite, and are very low iron bearing and oxygen bearing specimens. ?Enstatite Achondrite? is the ?class? of this meteorite, however it does not fit into any known ?group? of achondrites so it is ?ungrouped?. This meteorite is one of four classified as such, and since it has the same composition as the Polish meteorite Zaklodzie, it is often called ?Zaklodzie-like?.

NWA 7133, CO3.1 ? sub-mg part slice ? 5$
Another specimen from a small lot of similar, available in the form of a small specimen that is appreciable through a loop. Will come with my provenance.
CO3.1 is a relatively rare classification, this being one of 10 specimens classified as such. It was found in 2010, and the TKW is only 63.9g, so there is not much of this specimen to go around, hence the small lot of fragments.

Santa Catharina, Ungrouped Ataxite ? 0.545g ? 30$
Fragment revealing meteoritic iron, not shale, stored with desiccant since acquiring it. Acquired from Andre Moutinho, and will come with his specimen card as well as mine.
Discovered in 1875 in Brazil, most specimens of Santa Catharina out in private collections are weathered/terrestrialized specimens of shale, which no longer contain meteoritic iron. Due to the heavily weathered state of the masses when they were originally found, it was at first thought that this was terrestrial iron, but after various misclassifications throughout history it was discovered to be an Ungrouped Ataxite. I was fortunate to be able to buy a larger full iron slice in the recent past, so this smaller specimen will go to a new home.

Santo Antonio do Descoberto, IIAB Hexahedrite ? 1.3g - $35
Mirror polished part slice, very attractive and stored on a bed of desiccant since acquiring it. Acquired from Andre Moutinho, and will come with his specimen card as well as mine.
This is a recently discovered, 2011 iron from Brazil which was plowed up by farmers turning the soil of their field. It was buried under roughly 60cm of topsoil. Much of the mass is in the Natural History museum in Rio, and so specimens are rarely seen for sale on the collector?s market. This is an expensive part slice of a rare meteorite, but I have another specimen, so I am willing to be very flexible with the price.

Carancas, H4-5 ? 0.4g ? 25$
This specimen is part of a small lot of Carancas which was purchased from Bob Haag through Wandering Stars Meteorites. Specimens this size of Carancas are nearly impossible to find these days. I only received one specimen card when I bought the lot so this will come with a copy as well as my provenance.
Carancas was seen to fall in 2007 in Peru, and its fragments were found shortly after sitting in and around a small crater of ground water. The LPI report states that the meteorite exploded on impact with the ground, a relatively rare occurrence, and the material being very fragile was broken up significantly via this process. Most specimens of Carancas are small compared to other meteorites, and the bulk of specimens available today are sub-microgram sized.

Decaturville, Impact Breccia ? 122.7g part slice ? 15$
These were purchased from Riddlerocks but were not accompanied by specimen cards. Will come with my card.
The Decaturville crater in Missouri is thought to have formed after an impact event roughly 300 million years ago. There are a few times of breccia formed from it, and these are specimens of ?fill? breccia that have something of a frail glassy/ceramic appearance when cut and polished. Missouri is actually a region rich in impact sites, and is an abundant source of specimens as a result.

Canyon Diablo Impactite, Impact Glass ? 0.9g individual ? 15$
Both of these where purchased from Adam Hupe a few years back and will come with a Hupe specimen card, as well as my own provenance card.
Many people do not think that Canyon Diablo impactites really exist. They are relatively scarce, and I was fortunate to get my hands on some as described above. Specimens similar to these are on display at the American Museum of Natural History. This is the result of Kaibab Limestone in the region of the CD impact being superheated on impact, then solidifying in mid-air. During this process the limestone released Carbon Dioxide and reformed as Calcium Oxide.

Agoudal (Imichil), IIAB ? 4.47g sculpted specimen ? 10$
Agoudal (Imichil), IIAB ? 0.5g sculpted specimen ? Freebie with above
These were purchased from Dr. Jim Shorten around the time that Agoudal was classified, and during the time when it was more commonly referred to as ?Imichil?. These are nice representative specimens with some sculpting and good provenance. I only have one specimen card so the smaller specimen will get a copy of the card sent for the larger specimen. My provenance will accompany.
Agoudal was discovered in 2000 but was not recognized to be an iron meteorite until 2011. Even then it took another 2 years before it was officially classified. The original specimens were found in the High Atlas Mountains region and were sold to tourists before being recognized as meteorites. The main mass is 60kg and the strewn field, while being well hunted, has yet to be fully documented.

Camel Donga, Eucrite ? 0.1g small end cut ? 5$
This small specimen was purchased from Blaine Reed years ago when I first started collecting. Many of his specimens do not have provenance cards, but the case holding it has his sticker on the back in his writing. My provenance will accompany.
Camel Donga is a large monomict Eucrite find from the Nullarbor Plain of Western Australia. It was discovered in 1984 and was classified rather rapidly in the same year. The original mass found was roughly 500g, but after years of hunting the TKW now surpasses 25kg.

NWA 8744, Diogenite ? Sub-gram fragment ? 5$
I purchased a small lot of fragments from Greg Hupe, this piece being one of those. Will be accompanied by a copy of the one Hupe card that accompanied them, as well as my provenance card.
This is a recently classified Diogenite which was made available by the Greg Hupe. It is relatively unique in that the matrix of these specimens contain abundant vesicles, which is a feature more commonly seen in Lunar breccias.

Gebel Kamil Meteorite Collectible Coin ? 10$
The GK meteorite has an interesting history of being the first meteorite crater discovered via the use of Google Maps technology. The crater was spotted in the deserts of Egypt by an amateur who was scanning through satellite acquired Google images. After an official expedition to the crater, specimens began to be uncovered, and later the meteorite market exploded with specimens found by hunters. This is an attractive collectible coin in perfect minted condition. I have never opened the inner case of it.

Tagish Lake, C2-ungrouped ? micro ? 5$
This small fragment acquired from Arizona Meteorites, and will come with both their provenance and mine.
Tagish Lake is a relatively famous fall in Northern British Columbia, Canada, which came down on a cold snowy January day. It was observed by many and due to the cold weather and snow pack on the ground at the time, it was still very fresh when it was found. However many of the specimens had buried themselves in the snow, and were somewhat difficult to find. It became important for this reason to hunt the strewnfield well before the snow started melting. Meteorites like Tagish Lake are relatively frail and weather easily. This meteorite is rarely seen available in a size larger than a micro, and when they do pop up they tend to sell at a premium.

Toufassour, Mesosiderite ? 0.231g fragment ? 10$
This is part of a small lot of Touf that I bought from Stone Warehouse. It will come with their provenance card as well as mine.
Found in 2007 around a small 3 meter impact structure, this Mesosiderite has a relatively large TKW of about 73kg, but most of the TKW is locked up in one main mass that is 70kg in size. Most specimens that made it to the market were smaller specimens found by nomads, and sold to merchants in Erfoud.

Uruacu, IAB-MG ? 1.04g small part slice ? 5$
This is an old piece of Uruacu I got from Arizona Meteorites before upgrading to a larger specimen. It will come with their provenance and mine.
Uruacu is a repulsive looking meteorite. I?ve never seen a specimen of it that didn?t look horrible, and this piece really is no exception. Originating from Brazil in 1992, most specimens found are significantly weathered. There are plenty of big pieces of Uruacu available at decent prices so this little guy is priced to sell to someone who just wants a representative specimen, and doesn?t want to spend more on an ugly hunt of space metal. ;-)

Valera, L5 ? 0.242g small part slice ? 10$
This was purchased from Shawn Alan and will come with his provenance as well as mine.
Valera is the only meteorite documented to have killed something. In this case it was a cow, and the cow was eaten soon after. There are other meteorites that have an undocumented legacy of manslaughter, having supposedly targeted horses and dogs, but Valera is the only certain killer. For this reason, this otherwise unimportant fall from Venezuela is a very collectible member of the meteorite community, and this is a nice representative specimen of hammer stone.

Wolf Creek, Oxidized specimen ? 16.8g end cut ? 15$
This was purchased from a private collector named Chuck Wold who has been selling his specimens lately. I decided I wanted a larger specimen so I no longer need this one. It will come with his provenance sticker on the case, and my provenance card.
Wolf Creek is a 300,000 year old iron from Australia classified as IIIAB, but un-oxidized specimens are nearly impossible to find. There are many specimens available on the market of oxidized pieces like this, and this one is not particularly impressive, but it makes for a nice representative piece with a nice cut surface.

Yelland Dry Lake, H4 ? 2.63g fragment ? 5$
This was originally purchased from Arizona Meteorites and will come with their provenance card as well as mine.
Found primarily in a dry lake bed in Nevada, YDL is an abundant meteorite and small specimens like this are seen pretty frequently. It?s a nice small representative piece for those who want one but don?t feel like they want to put the money out for a bigger specimen.