[meteorite-list] Time for change - here in US (was, Re: something about Las Vegas)

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 00:45:26 -0400

Hi Bob,

You are right, I did not read the articles. I was just responding to this thread on the List. But as it stands, the OC's recovered from the Southwest Deserts don't appear to be something that most Universities are currently looking to study or add to their collection . If they were, we would have scientists willing to classify them for free as they did years ago. Even with funding the Universities may not be interested due to lesser scientific value. I do not think it is necessary to classify every OC found on a dry lake bed or desert strewn field. You are entitled to your opinion and I just feel differently about the subject.

I don't think we would ever have the true picture anyways due to erosion, meteorites being buried upon impact on Earth, movement of meteorites by Native Americans, other people recovering pieces from the same area over the years. You and I both know that meteorites will appear different due to weathering depending on where they are found in the strewn field, hill top, river bed, etc. Now throw in the dynamics of the Lake bed freeze and thaw cycles, movement of meteorites over the hundreds of years. What about different scientists classifying the same OC at different labs and having slightly different results. I was told that you can not have L,LL, H and L/H meteorites from the same fall. I have proof from many hours of field work from one location that it is spread over many miles on stable surface. It proves that you can have L, LL, H and transitional H/ L from one fall. The only way to confirm this is thru terrestrial dating which would never happen due to funding. I would bet that is what you are find
ing on lake beds.

>Stump Springs? 130 field-numbered finds, only 84 provisional numbers,only 1 classified find.? No strewn-field data is published.?

Wow Bob,
Really! What is the rush? Is there a time frame on strewn field recovery work? Some people like to hunt and discover the bigger picture before putting it all out there. At what point do you stop and give up when you are still making finds? All of my data with field map, in situ pictures, and descriptions of finds will be released at a later date.This will only show data from one fall. Every fall is different. I have yet to see any strewn field maps from any of your published locations.

>Yelland Dry lake?Hundreds of >fragments, and only one classification.? Worlds only one meteoritedry lake!? Was there any strewn-field data recorded?There still is >no estimateof how many >original masses formed all of these clusters of fragments, or theirlocations.???This is one big fuster cluck.?

There are two classifications from Yelland . Are you suggesting that I should have had every fragment classified from this location? Can you imagine the reaction I would have gotten if I presented this? " Hi Alan, here are all the fragments (just over one thousand). I just know these stones are different. Can you give me one thousand provisional numbers?" I have field data from Yelland before any piece was removed. What would this data prove? Probably NOTHING. Only that a large OC was recovered from a dry lake bed and fragmented into thousands of pieces. The field data would give me a direction in which to look for other pieces but again the Scientists do not seem to be interested in this. From the last count over 200 lbs have been recovered and with the exception of one stone all of the pieces look identical to each other. Again as I said there are two classifications from Yelland thus far and the majority of fragments look identical. Could these two classifications be from different segments of a large
main mass? Feel free to stop by and sort through all of the Yelland fragments. If you find anything different I will buy you dinner.

>please allow me to update this table of recoverydata:Stewart Valley - over 700 recorded finds, only 22 in the MBD, 6different classifications, only the H6 and L6 >are paired.? Where's thebeef?

Are you thinking that there were 6 different falls on Stewart Valley dry lake bed? That is hard to imagine that many different falls in one area. Anything is possible I guess.

Sonny