[meteorite-list] UNM Meteorite Museum re-opening

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 15:17:01 -0600

Thanks for the kind words Ruben!

I just came across this excerpt from Lincoln LaPaz's (founder of IOM)
"Space Nomads: Meteorites in Sky, Field, and Laboratory". It is as
true today as it was when the IOM was founded in 1944!

"Meteorite hunting, unlike pure mathematics, cannot be conducted with
success solely by publicity-shy individuals comfortably seated in
armchairs. Unlike the chemist, who buys his research materials from
catalogs; the bacteriologist, who brews up his cultures at will in a
laboratory; and the botanist, who finds the objects of his
experimentation in conveniently located greenhouse and herbarium, the
meteoriticist is in large measure dependent on the general public for
the specimens with which he works. In meteoritics, as in perhaps no
other science, rapid progress depends on the intelligent cooperation
of the layman, that fortunate individual destined, because of his
ubiquitousness, not only to witness all meteorites yet to fall, but
also, sooner or later, to stumble upon many of those that have already
fallen..."
*************************************
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126