[meteorite-list] Geologist rates Cranbourne South strip a hotspot for scientific treasure trove of undiscovered meteorites

From: Clemens Unger <clemens.unger_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 08:14:15 +1100

Hi Listees,

This strewnfield is at my doorstep. I am convinced that the current 15 or so specimens that vary widely in size from 20kg to 1.5t are just the tip of the iceberg and that the really "big one" is still out there. The largest specimen that is on display in London was buried quite deep when it was found in 1850.
I have spent many days hunting in the area also with the aid of Dr. Andy Tomkins from Monash Uni. The problem is that it through farming in 150 years there are heaps of meteorwrongs (of which I found plenty) as well as the fact that the area is getting suburbanized and certainly some meteorites are lost forever. ?But I am sure that there are meteorites to be found... If anyone is interested to tag along or discuss please feel free to get in touch.
Clemens Unger
Mornington, Australia