[meteorite-list] Creston Well done, Outstanding!

From: ian macleod <ianmacca81_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 00:35:05 +0000

Hi List, I would like to say congratulations to all involved with the triangulation, search, recovery and classification of this new fall.

The most exciting thing I saw however in the History notes for Creston was the following:

 'The fireball was captured on at least four all-sky cameras in Parker, Arizona; Riverside, California; El Segundo, California; and the SETI Institute CAMS all-sky system in Sunnyvale, California. Dozens of witnesses close to the ground path heard sonic booms shortly after the fireball terminated. Confirming these accounts, sonic boom signatures were recorded by three California seismic stations, allowing triangulation of the approximate fall zone. Six Doppler radar returns acquired from the NOAA NEXRAD weather radar network were used to further constrain the fall location. The earliest radar signature appears in imagery from the KVTX (Los Angeles, California) radar at an altitude of 16.2 km above sea level (ASL) at 05:47:57.6 UTC - just 12 s after the meteor first appears in the Riverside video. KVBX (Vandenberg AFB, California) recorded signatures of falling meteorites at 05:49:40.3, 05:51:08.9 and 05:53:43.3 UTC at altitudes of 5.6 km, 6.7 km and 1.2 km, respectively; KHNX (San Joaquin, California) record
ed several returns at 05:51:57.3 at an altitude of 3.9 km. Finally, KMUX (San Francisco) recorded a pair of returns at 16.2-km altitude at 06:00:41.7. '

The bulk of around 30000 meteorites we know of to date do not have this kind of data for them. This is truly a special thing!

This is 21'st century meteoritics at work!

A new generation of Jean-Baptiste Biot's unlocking the mysteries of these falls and where they come from

Outstanding work everyone

Ian MacLeod

Australia