[meteorite-list] Meteorite Strikes Home in Australia?

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 15:54:30 -0800 (PST)

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/boom-crash-metorite-strikes-little-mountain-home/2848293/

Boom, crash - meteorite strikes Little Mountain home
Sunshine Coast Daily (Australia)
November 20, 2015

[Image]
Zen Collins holds what she believes to be a meteorite that crashed through
their roof in Little Mountain. The metalic chunk of rock smashed through
the tin roof, the ceiling and then cracked a tile where it impacted just
behind the couch. Zen and her 2 kids Scarlett, 2 and Zavier, 6 checking
out the Meteorite. Photo: Che Chapman / Sunshine Coast Daily Che Chapman
Popular Stories

WHAT is believed to be a meteorite has crashed through the roof of a Little
Mountain home.

Zen Collins was in the backyard of her Highland Tce home on a telephone
call to her mother about 1.20pm today when she heard a loud bang.

"I ran inside and did a scan of every level of the house and the doors
were fine," she said.

"I went on and found the rock on the floor and it was hot - it wasn't
read hot but it was definitely warmer than I expected.

"And then I looked up and saw the sky."

The suspected meteorite had crashed through the Colorbond roof, the insulation,
and then the plasterboard ceiling before striking the floor, chipping
a tile.

A stunned Ms Collins said her first thought was "who through a rock through
my roof?" before she realised that it could be a meteorite.

She initially rang the SES and then the property manager to arrange a
repair of the roof before seeking expert advice about the mysterious missile.

The suspected meteorite was roughly 7cm square and about 2cm thick, containing
fragments of what appeared to be metal, magnetic, and weighed and estimated
350-400g.

Owen Bennedick, of the Wappa Falls Observatory, said the description matched
that of a meteorite.

"There's a couple of ways to determine if it's a meteorite. It will be
all burnt and scuffed, if it's magnetic, and if it's quite heavy."

Ms Collins said she was not sure what to do with her surprise gift from
the heavens but might consider giving it to a museum in the future.