[meteorite-list] Meteorite Fall Over Eastern Turkish Village: Bingol is not overpriced, here is why.

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 20:11:24 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I have been following the Bingol fall as closely as possible and here
is why I think this fall is not overpriced.

Bingol is not Ankara. It is out in Kurd country closer to the
Syria-Iraq borders. In addition to having ISIS terrorists hiding under
rocks, there is a long-standing and bloody battle between the Turkish
government and armed Kurdish separatist groups. This meteorite fell
well outside the tourist-friendly confines of the capital, and this
area is not safe.

Traveling to that area of the Turkey and being that close to the
clusterphuck in Syria is taking a serious risk to one's life and
well-being. The price of a fall tends to go up when the finder and/or
buyer is risking their life in a tangible way.

Airfare to Turkey is not cheap. Travel expenses are not cheap.

This is the first witnessed fall of a howardite in this century.

The stone are magnificent. Some resemble replicas of Lafayette with a
profusion of delicate flow-lines on superbly-oriented specimens.
Lovely semi-translucent crust.

There will never be much of this material on the market in the future
- the TKW is modest. This is not another Chelyabinsk where the prices
are going to drop significantly later.

To each their with personal collecting tastes. I am not saying Bingol
is better than any other meteorite. I am just giving my opinion that
Bingol does not appear to be any more overpriced than any typical new
fall is. The first kid on the block with the new toy pays the most.
Prices usually decline after the newness wears off. But, given the
circumstances of this fall, the circumstances of the recovery, and the
type, I do not see the price dropping dramatically later.

I see a lot of this material moving on social media outside eBay. It
doesn't appear to be sitting on the shelves very long. I think eBay
has become it's own peculiar animal now that does not resemble the
eBay meteorite market of old, but that's another story.

Best regards and Happy Huntings,

MikeG
--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/galacticstone
<meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com> wrote:
> Keep in mind I was referring to crusted individuals - like the Bingol
> I''m selling - not crumbs.
>
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Anne Black <impactika at aol.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, I sold my last fragment, 1.1g, not all that long ago.
>> I'll let you know next  time I get some.
>>

>> Anne M. Black
>> www.IMPACTIKA.com
>> IMPACTIKA at aol.com

>>> Garcia