[meteorite-list] Very Bright Fireball Over Europe on Halloween Night

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 08:02:05 -0700

The whole issue of meteor color is complex. We now have many examples of
high resolution meteor spectra... but "color" is a physiological
phenomenon that isn't always easy to relate to physical spectra.

The light of meteors consists mostly of thermally broadened atomic
emission lines- lots of them- from both the meteoritic material and the
atmosphere. As has been noted, the atmospheric contributions tend to
dominate. But there are often strong lines from meteoritic material, as
well. In the case of large fireballs (where we have much less
spectroscopic data) there may be a blackbody contribution as well,
either from the ablating surface or from a supercompressed plasma. And
since this is mostly driven by thermal effects, the speed of the body
makes a big difference in perceived color. Throw into all of this the
complexities of human vision- differences in retinal response,
persistence effects, psychological effects given typically short
observation times- and it's little wonder this entire area remains
poorly understood.

After large fireballs, when I get many witness reports submitted, I
review color. It's common for about half the witnesses who report color
to agree on one in particular (green is by far the most common), while
the other half see red, orange, yellow, or blue.

My takeaway is that we should generally assume that most color is coming
from atmospheric contributions, probably modified slightly by meteoritic
components (often too subtly for people to report accurately), and that
above all, it's almost impossible to make any assumptions about
meteoroid composition from color.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory