[meteorite-list] Lunar meteorites selling for peanuts

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 10:10:00 -0600

Supply and demand could be part of the story for lunars, maybe not for
martians. Here are the numbers for just new NWA lunars since 2010:

2010: 11
2011: 6
2012: 4
2013: 13
2014: 25

Here is the same time frame for NWA Martians:

2010: 11
2011: 6
2012: 4
2013: 10
2014: 12

Of course hidden in these numbers are TKW, quality, pairing, and type.
Obviously rarities like mare basalts, nakhlites, and chassignites
shouldn't be seeing price drops or decrease in demand. Not to mention
unique martians like NWA 7034 (Black Beauty) and NWA 8159. Maybe the
drop in price/demand is most pronounced in types that are most common
such as the lunar feldspathic breccias.

Just my opinion, but I don't think lunars will ever become as cheap as
eucrites, I think they are still quite rare on Earth and will be a
good long term investment. Maybe we are just seeing an anomaly in the
lunar offerings because a few recent big TKW finds of lunars. Who
knows!

Carl Agee

*************************************
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126