[meteorite-list] Lunar meteorites selling for peanuts

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 17:13:11 -0400

Hi Shawn,

I think most of what we are seeing is supply and demand at work. As
time goes on, more and more planetaries are coming out of the hot
deserts, especially the NWA DCA. In recent months, we have seen over
a dozen new planetaries (including several lunars) that have been
approved in the Met Bulletin.

New collectors are coming in to the hobby on a regular basis, but the
supply of planetaries available to these collectors has stayed steady
or increased. Old offerings are absorbed into collections and vanish
from the open market, but they are replaced with numerous new
offerings that are being sold by an ever-increasing number of dealers.

In the past, the majority of planetaries were held by a
relatively-small group of veteran dealers. Now, there are many
middle/moderate-size dealers who are offering lunars and Martians.

In order to be competitive, dealers need to better control the
supply/market (not likely) or lower prices to attract buyers to these
new planetaries - many of which are not that remarkable in comparison
to previous offerings. For every new Nakhlite or Black Beauty, there
are a dozen "new" (sometimes unpaired) shergottites hitting the
market.

I won't mention names, but there are a couple of big collector/dealers
who are buying up multiple planetary masses in recent years and the
majority of that material does not appear to have hit the open market
yet. If that material is ever released into the market, it would
depress the asking prices even further.

Best regards,

MikeG
--